Main God : Lord Murugan
Observed by :Hindus
Type : Hindu festival
Significance : Soorapadman
Skanda is a popular Hindu deity especially among Tamil Hindus. Lord Skanda is son of God Shiva and Goddess Parvati. In south India, Skanda is considered as the younger brother of Lord Ganesha while in north India Skanda is considered as the elder brother of Lord Ganesha. God Skanda is also known as Murugan, Kartikeyan and Subramanya.
Sashti Tithi is dedicated to Lord Skanda. Devotees keep fast during Shukla Paksha Sashti day. For Skanda Sashti Vratam the day when Sashti Tithi is combined with Panchami Tithi is preferred. Hence Skanda Sashti Vratam might be observed on Panchami Tithi.
Skanda Sashti is also known as Kanda Shashti.
Next Skanda Sashti after Soorasamharam is known as Subramanya Sashti which is also known as Kukke Subramanya Sashti and falls during lunar month Margashirsha.
Temples Dedicated to Lord Murugan :
Following six abodes, which are known as Arupadaiveedu, are the most important shrines for Murugan devotees in Tamilnadu, India.
- Palani Murugan Temple (100 km south east of Coimbatore)
- Swamimalai Murugan Temple (Near Kumbakonam)
- Thiruthani Murugan Temple (84 km from Chennai)
- Pazhamudircholai Murugan Temple (10 km north of Madurai)
- Sri Subrahmanya Swami Devasthanam, Tiruchendur (40 km south of Thoothukudi)
- Thirupparamkunram Murugan Temple (10 km south of Madurai)