Main God : Meenakshi
Deities : Sundareswarar, Meenakshi Sundarar, Somasundarar, Kalyana Sundarar, Shanbaga Sundarar, Attavai Shevagan, Chockalingam, Adiyarku Nallan, Adhiraveesi, Vilayaduvan, Abhideka Chockar, Azhagiya Chockar, Kadambavana Chockar, Puzhugu Neidhu Chockar, Kadambavaneswarar, Karpoora Chockar, Madureswarar, Irayanar, Peralavayar and other names.
Location : Arulmigu Meenakshi Sundareshwarar Thirukkoil,
Chithirai Street, Madurai.
Pincode : 625 001.
1 Chithirai Brahamostavam – Arumigu Thirukkalyanam.
2 Vaikasi Vasantham Festival
3 Aani Unjal Festival
4 Aadi Aadi – Mulai Kottu – Festival
5 Aavani Aavani Moolam Festival – ” Puttukku Mansumantha Leela Festival”
6 Purattasi Navarathri festival
7 Ayppasi Kolattam Festival
8 Karthikai Kolattam Festival
9 Margali Thiruvathirai – Arudhra Dharsan Festival and Thiruvembavai and Thiruppavai Festival.
10 Thai Major portion of utsavam performed in A/M Meenakshi Sundareswarar temple. Thepporstovam in A/M Mariyamman temple theppam.
11 Masi Masi – Mandala utsavam for 48 days.
12 Panguni Summar Vasantham Festival
Worhship Timing :
5.00 a.m. to 12.30 p.m. to 4.00 p.m. to 10.00 p.m
Pooja Timing :
Thiruvanandal pooja – 05 : 00 AM to 06 : 00 AM
Vizha pooja – 06:30 AM to 07 : 15 AM
Kalasandhi pooja – 06:30 AM to 07 : 15 AM
Thrukalasandhi pooja – 10:30 AM to 11:15 AM
Uchikkala Pooja (Noon Pooja) – 10:30 AM to 11:15 AM
Maalai pooja – 04:30 AM to 05:15 AM
Ardhajama Pooja (Night Pooja)- 07 : 30 PM to 08 : 15 PM
Palliarai pooja – 09 : 30 PM to 10 : 00 PM
ARULMIGU MEENAKSHI SUNDARESHWARAR THIRUKKOIL – HISTORY
The Meenakshi temple is believed to have been founded by Indra (king of Deva celestial deities) while he was on a pilgrimage to atone for his misdeeds. He felt his burden lifting as he neared the swayambu lingam (self formed lingam, a representation of Shiva used for worship in temples) of Madurai. He ascribed this miracle to the lingam and constructed the temple to enshrine it. Indra worshipped Shiva, who caused golden lotuses to appear in the nearby pool.
Tamil literature speaks of the temple over the last two millennia. Thirugnanasambandar, the famous Hindu saint of Saiva philosophy, mentioned this temple as early as the 7th century, and described the deity as Aalavai Iraivan. The temple is believed to have been sacked by the infamous Muslim invader Malik Kafur in 1310 and all the ancient elements were destroyed.
The initiative to rebuild the structure was taken by first Nayak king of Madurai, Viswanatha Nayak (1559–1600) under the supervision of Ariyanatha Mudaliar, the prime minister of the Nayak Dynasty and the founder of the Poligar System. The original design by Vishwanatha Nayak in 1560 was substantially expanded to the current structure during the reign of Thirumalai Nayak (1623–55). He took considerable interest in erecting many complexes inside the temple. His major contributions are the Vasantha Mandapam for celebrating vasanthorsavam (spring festival) and Kilikoondu Mandapam (corridor of parrots). The corridors of the temple tank and Meenatchi Nayakar Mandapam were built by Rani Mangammal.
Rous Peter (1786–1828), the Collector of Madurai in 1812, got nickname ‘Peter Pandian’ as he respected and treated people of all faiths equally. He donated a set of golden stirrups studded with diamonds and red stones to the temple.Goddess Meenatchi is believed to have saved Rous Peter from a fatal incident. He also wished that after his death, his body be buried in a position that would enable his eyes to face the temple
According to legend, the sacred Suyambulingam discovered by the king of Gods indira at Kadambavanam, was later enshrined by him in Madurai. The fact that the Lord is seen on the vehicle of Indira in this temple is said to be proof for this.
Many historical evidences of the temple have been found dating back from early A.D. The temple was almost completely destroyed in the year 1310 following the invasion of the Islamic conqueror Malikkapur.As kings who were followers of Islam were noted for their intolerance towards other religions, the invaders destroyed most of the ancient sculptures of the temple.
Thirugnanasambandar the Hindu Saint has mentioned the temple in his songs which go back to early 7th century. The Lord has been described as Alavai Iraivan in his songs.The temple was restored to its pristine glory in the late 14th century when the Hindu Kings came back to power in Madurai.This can also be termed as a new beginning of a new era in the history of the temple, when it was almost rebuilt. The King Thirumalai Naicker played an important role in the construction of the new form of the temple according to records.