Main God :
Arulmigu saptharisheeswarar Temple,
Tiruchirappalli – 621601.
PANGUNI UTHIRA THER THIRUVIZHA THIRUVADHIRA (பங்குனி உத்திர தேர் திருவிழா, திருவாதிரை)
› TAMIL NEW YEAR (தமிழ் வருடப்பிறப்பு)
› AADI (ஆடி)
› THAI (தை)
› PURATTASI AMAVASAI (புரட்டாசி அமாவாசை)
› THAIPOOSAM (தைப்பூசம்)
› SURASAMHARAM (சூரசம்ஹாரம்)
› AANI MADHAM NATTRUNADAVU URSAM (ஆனிமாதம் நாற்றுநடவு உற்சவம்)
› NATARAJAR ABHISHEGAM (நடராஜர் அபிஷேகம்)
› ANNAABHISHEGAM (அன்னாபிஷேகம்)
› SHIVARATHRI (சிவராத்திரி)
Monthly and Weekly Festival :
› SUKRAVARA OONJAL (சுக்ரவார ஊஞ்சல்)
› PRIDHOSHANGAL (பிரதோசங்கள்)
› YEGADHASI (ஏகாதசி)
› KIRUTHIKAI (கிருத்திகை)
› SASHTI (சஷ்டி)
› MORNING 7.30 A.M TO 9.00 A.M
› BEFORE NOON 11.00 A.M TO 12.00 NOON
› EVENING 4.30 P.M TO 6.30 P.M
› 8.30 P.M TO 9.00 P.M
Vazhipadu Time :
› MORNING 5.30 A.M TO 1.00 P.M
› EVENING 4.00 P.M TO 9.00 P.M
Thiruthavathuri, now called lalgudi, is situated on the banks of river coleroon, (known also as north cauvery) about 20 kms form Tiruchi. The temple here has won a unique place among the temples of Tamilnadu. It was here only the seven rishis, atri, brihu, pulsithar, vasistar, gauthamar, angeerasar and marichi, prayed to the presiding deity, saptharisheeswarar, to ward off the bad period they were passing through. The temple was taken up for being extended by the parantaka kings.This is an ancient temple about 500-1000 years old.
Lalgudi is one of the Town in Lalgudi Taluk in Tiruchirappalli District in Tamil Nadu State . It is 14.8 km far from its District Main City Tiruchirappalli . It is 289 km far from its State Main City Chennai. It lies close to Coleroon River. Ayyan Vaikal is the river passing through Lalgudi. Lalgudi Sivan Temple
It’s old name was Thiruthuvatturai. It was ruled by Malik Gafoor, a slave who became a head general in the army of Alauddin Khilji, ruler of the Delhi sultanate from 1296 to 1316 AD. Lalgudi Sivan Temple
The ancient Sabdarishiswarar temple is in Lalgudi.During his invasion on Tamilnadu, Malik Gafoor, while passing through this region saw the workers painting the tower in red. He asked his commander in Urudu, “what is this Lal gudi (Lal-red and Gudi-Tower). His question became the name of the place then as Lalgudi.Lord Shiva desiring to play with the seven rishis – Athri, Brugu, Pulasthya Vasishta, Gautama, Angirasa and Marichi – left the child in their hermitage. The wives of the rishis were happy to see the child. When the child began to cry they played with him. When the child began to cry loudly due to hunger, the rishi patnis failed to feed the child, the Kruthika maidens came in and took care of the child. Lalgudi Sivan Temple
he Devas (those belonging to the celestial world) appealed to Lord Shiva to protect them from the harassment of demon Tharakasura. Lord shiva created Lord Muruga from the six sparks from His face.
Lord Shiva desiring to play with the seven rishis – Athri, Brugu, Pulasthya Vasishta, Gautama, Angirasa and Marichi – left the child in their hermitage. The wives of the rishis were happy to see the child. When the child began to cry they played with him. When the child began to cry loudly due to hunger, the rishi patnis failed to feed the child, the Kruthika maidens came in and took care of the child.
When the rishis returned to the ashram after their daily yagnas, they came to know that their wives failed to feed the child and felt sad that they had lost the opportunity of a blissful life due to the attitude of their wives. The angry rishis drove away their wives.
Lord Muruga understood the cause of His birth. He killed Tharakasura. While returning back, He cursed the rishis. They trembled. As they could not get a relief in Tiruvaiyaru where they undertook intense penance they came to Lalgudi and continued the penance. Lord Shiva appeared before them, blessed them, cracked His head a flame (jwala) from His head and absorbed them in Himself and thus relieved them of the curse. As all the rishis had been taken into Shiva, the Lord came to be known as Sabdarishiswarar. This caused cracks on the Head of the Lord and the marks are visible even today. The sculptures of the Seven Rishis are at the entrance of the temple.